Thursday, November 24, 2011

A Thanksgiving perspective

.

Help Me
(A Thanksgiving Day Prayer)

O God, when I have food,
help me to remember the hungry;
When I have work,
help me to remember the jobless;
When I have a home,
help me to remember those who have no home at all;
When I am without pain,
help me to remember those who suffer,
And remembering,
help me to destroy my complacency,
bestir my compassion,
and be concerned enough to help,
By word and deed,
those who cry out for what we take for granted.
Amen.

(Samuel F. Pugh)

borrowed from Sherrey’s blog, “Righting” My Life Story



"For I was hungry and you gave Me food,
I was thirsty and you gave Me drink.
I was a stranger and you welcomed Me..."
Matthew 25:35



6 comments:

  1. I LOVE this poem.

    Wishing you and your family a Happy and Blessed Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Joyful, I'm glad you enjoy the poem. I had not read it before, and then I found it earlier today on Sherrey's blog. I thought it was too important not to share it!

    I left a comment on your blog a few minutes ago. :)

    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always need this reminder, Linda. Especially today, the Saturday after Thanksgiving, when I'd rather be downstairs having fun with my family.

    But I remember that this work is God's provision and my family is being supported and provided for through it. Today, I'm thinking of the homeless and jobless...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bless you, Rhonda, for the ways you honor God by helping, supporting, and providing for your dear family. Thanks for stopping by, and for your constant inspiration and encouragement.

    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amen! I love the quote by the President of World Vision: "Who is going to feed the hungry this Thanksgiving. Jesus said, 'You'" Or ...something like that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, Shanda, yes he has some powerful quotes. The zing right into hearts! God uses him to stir up compassion in people to take action to help the needy.

    Thanks for stopping by, Shanda. I enjoy following you on your blog. Hope you're feeling better soon!

    Linda

    ReplyDelete